Thursday, October 25, 2007

Radio's Golden Age

Name: Joyce Chervenak
Age: 77
How I know this person: My grandmother

Q & A:

When I asked Joyce how old she was when she first listened to the radio she responded that she was around the age of 4 or 5. I then asked how her and her family members would spend time with the radio. Her response was that they sat down and listened to the music, news, and every Saturday night her and her father would listen to the Grand Ol’ Opry and she would end up falling asleep to it. The third question I asked was how the radio was different back then, than it is today. She responded with “The radio still digs into getting headlines, that there is a much more variety of music in the modern days, and that there were more talk shows back in her day.” Next I asked her what were some of her favorite shows and moments in radio history that she will always remember and she stated that she will always remember listening to Jack Armstrong, the Lone Ranger, news about World War II, VJ Day and VE Day (Victory in Japan Day and Victory in Europe Day), the Fireside Talks with Franklin D. Roosevelt, and she then confessed that like any other child she did not really pay all that much attention to the news. The final question I asked my grandma was what she would like the younger generations to remember about the early days of radio and although she did not have much to say what she did say was very powerful. Her response was for us to never take what we have for granted.

From this interview I learned that I am very grateful for all the new technology we have available to us today such as the computer, the television, the cell phone, and the iPod.

No comments: